Books about Greyhounds
- Adopting the Racing Greyhound, by Cynthia Branigan. ISBN 0-7645-4086-6. One of the first books about retired racing greyhounds.
- Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies, by Lee Livingood. ISBN 0-7645-5276-7. Packed with information and very easy to read.
- The Ultimate Greyhound,edited by Mark Sullivan. ISBN 1-58245-130-3. Published in the United Kingdom, contains information on both racing and show greyhounds.
- The Reign of the Greyhound, by Cynthia Branigan. ISBN 0-87605-696-6. Popular book about greyhound history.
- Care of the Racing Greyhound, by Linda Blythe, James Gannon, A. Morrie Craig. ISBN 0-9641456-1-8. Health care bible for those who raise greyhounds for racing. Good information for all greyhound owners.
Books about Training
- Play Training Your Dog, by Patricia Gail Burnham. ISBN 0-312-61691-0. Written by a greyhound owner, one of the first books to encourage gentle training methods. Dated but still pertinent.
- Steppin’ Up to Success with Terri Arnold (Book 1), by Terri Arnold. ISBN 1-887290-05-2. Good book on introductory obedience training for owners seriously interested in dog training.
- The Power of Positive Dog Training, by Pat Miller. ISBN 0-7645-3609-5. Another good book on training. Contains a week-to-week schedule.
- Cesar’s Way, by Cesar Millan. ISBN 0-307-33733-2. Interesting viewpoint by someone who trains humans to interpret dog “language” and dog communication.
- Remembering to Breathe, by Willard Bailey. ISBN 0-7414-1860-6. One man’s truthful account of his experience in the world of competitive dog training. Hint: It’s a dog eat dog world.
Other Interesting Books
- The Intelligence of Dogs, by Stanley Coren. ISBN 0-02-906683-2. Differentiates between “instinctive” intelligence and “working” intelligence (i.e. trainability). See the chart on pages 182 and 183. Mainly deals with AKC breeds.
- The Culture Clash, by Jean Donaldson. ISBN 1-888047-05-4. Landmark book about observing dog behavior, dog training, and why we humans are sometimes idiots about it.
- The Other End of the Leash, by Patricia McConnell. ISBN 0-345-44678-X. Another good book by an animal behaviorist about communication (and mis-communication) between dogs and humans.
- The Language of Miracles, by Amelia Kinkade. ISBN 1-57731-510-3. How to learn to communicate with your dog.
- Getting in TTouch with Your Dog, Linda Tellington Jones. ISBN 1-57076-206-6. Learn body work to improve your dog’s behavior and security.
- Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, by Richard Pitcairn, DVM. ISBN 0-87596-243-2. Natural healing, healthcare, and diets for pets.
- Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats, by Kymythy Schultze –ISBN 1-56170-636-1. Handy little book about raw diets for pets.
- All Bets are Off!, edited by Karen Weyler. ISBN 1-58320-024-X. Harrowing, emotional, often sad, and graphic look at greyhound rescue in Spain. Not for children or the squeamish.
Magazines and Periodicals
- Celebrating Greyhound Magazine. IDBM 1093-0892. The premier magazine for all retired racing greyhound fanciers.
- AKC Gazette. ISSN 1086-0940. Published by the American Kennel Club, contains the latest information on health research, breeds, and competition. Mainly read by competitors and dog breeders.
- Front & Finish. ISSN 1073-7537. “Must have” journal for the serious obedience and rally competitor.
- The Whole Dog Journal. ISSN 1097-5322 Monthly newsletter dedicated to natural dog care and training. Contains no advertisements, just information.